The Concept of Skincare Layering, Pt. 2

Monday, May 12, 2014

My current evening skincare rotation. All products listed below with links.


Check out the previous post in this series: The Concept of Skincare Layering, Pt. 1

STEP 4: APPLY SERUM / OIL
This is where the main "layering" takes place in your skincare as the products gradually have a thicker consistency.

When someone takes a glance at my skincare cabinet and spots the infamous amber glass bottle of Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair, I most often get comments about how their moms and old people use it. Granted, I had that impression as well, but then I was completely sold and taken by a very kind SA at my local Neiman Marcus beauty counter who convinced me that if I'm going to put anything else on my face, the Advanced Night Repair will just make it even better.

Another favorite of mine is Lancome Visionnaire. It claims all sorts of new technology with a fancy moniker and I tend to rotate my serums quite often to make sure my skin doesn't get used to them, so it's hard for me to judge a long-lasting effect unless I repurchase (at its price though..), BUT I will say this, when I wake up in the morning, I know I applied this serum the night before. Its scent alone makes falling asleep even more pleasant.

If you're more of a homeopathic and natural gal, essential oils are for you! The best thing about using oils is that the tiniest bit goes forever. I'll use a drop of Josie Maran 100% Argan Oil in the center of my face and still have enough to run the oil along my cuticles.

STEP 5: APPLY A LIGHTWEIGHT LOTION
You can easily skip this step and go straight for the heavy moisturizer, but after playing around with all the different textures and weights of my skincare products, I find that including this step helps more than it doesn't. In current rotation is Laneige Balancing Emulsion Light, but my past favorite that I easily killed was Estee Lauder Advanced Time Zone. Ah my gawd, I need to repurchase ASAP. Just writing about it is giving me wants.

STEP 6: TREAT EYE CONCERNS
Depending on what your issue is — dark circles, wrinkles, sagging — your eye product will differ. There are also so many different base formulas for products, such as cream, water, gel; but what I suggest is that you can never go wrong with over-applying. As long as you keep the general eye area "flexible" with a soft product, you can prevent wrinkles and sagging because as you express, your skin will be less taut and won't pull.

This is applicable to dark circles as well if you regularly do eye massages as the less resistance you feel on your skin during the massage, the better. This is a general massage rule you should always keep in mind, but you don't want to focus on the surface of your skin, like what most people think they need to do and tend to do, but the tissues beneath.

For dark circles, I'm one in the very long list of fans of Origins GinZing Eye Cream as it instantly makes me feel more awake. I do find that it's more of a "cosmetic" cream though, so when it comes to wanting intensive care to the eye area, I opt for the ever-potent Estee Lauder Re-Nutriv Ultimate Lift Age-Correcting Eye Cream.

STEP 7: DON'T FORGET YOUR LIPS!
Drinking water is the best way to ensure hydrated and plump lips (and your overall health and appearance really), but to make absolute sure you don't wake up with dry and cracked lips, apply some Eucerin Aquaphor. Vaseline, Egyptian Magic All Purpose Cream, or a fancy Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream will do the trick as well! I also like to apply these on my hands liberally before bed. If you do this for several days straight, your hands will be so soft!

STEP 8: SEAL IT ALL UP WITH A HEAVY MOISTURIZER
Finally, use a heavy moisturizer to seal up all the goodies above! I personally like Mario Badescu Oil Free Moisturizer SPF 30 as I find the tiniest bit goes a long way as it spreads very easily for such a thick formula.

Product Reference

Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair
Estee Lauder Advanced Time Zone
Estee Lauder Re-Nutriv Ultimate Lift Age-Correcting Eye Cream
Egyptian Magic All Purpose Cream
Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream
Eucerin Aquaphor
Josie Maran Argan Oil
Lancome Visionnaire
Laneige Balancing Emulsion Light
Mario Badescu Oil Free Moisturizer SPF 30
Origins GinZing Eye Cream

For a collective list of all products mentioned on MEL & MUSE, check out the Product Archive.